From Father to Son

I completed this project (from start to finish!) in just a couple of hours this evening.  First, I asked Noah which of Daddy’s old dress shirts he would like to have re-made into a shirt for him.  He chose this green one.  I know, this isn’t true up-cycling but we really like the shirt and it’s been sitting around the house for a couple of years unworn because the length of the body is just too short for Brian.  So, the green one it was!

Daddy's green button up shirt -- too short in the body

Daddy’s green button up shirt — too short in the body

I used pattern pieces from the Prepster Pullover, part of the Blank Slate Basics by Melly Sews.  I placed the pieces on the shirt so that I could use as many original seams/hems as possible.  This means that the hemline of my shirt does not follow the same lines as the Prepster Pullover pattern because I wanted to save some time.

First I removed the pocket (this took the longest amount of time) and folded it’s sides in to make it smaller.

Next, I cut the other pattern pieces.  I still have some fabric left over and the collar piece to practice re-making a collar into a clergy collar.

Cut back pattern piece from the back of the shirt

Cut back pattern piece from the back of the shirt

Cut the front pattern piece from the front of the shirt, working around the button placket

Cut the front pattern piece from the front of the shirt, working around the button placket

Cut the sleeves from the existing sleeves.  No need to worry about cutting the cuffs this way.

Cut the sleeves from the existing sleeves. No need to worry about cutting the cuffs this way.

Cut the yoke and collar pieces from the remaining fabric.

Cut the yoke and collar pieces from the remaining fabric.

Then I sewed on the pocket, sewed the yoke and the back piece together, and attached the front to the back at the shoulders.  After that, I sewed up the side seams, pinned the sleeves in place and sewed them in, and added the collar.  I also sewed up the original button placket to about half way between the second and third buttons so that the shirt will still be a pullover.

Finished shirt for a little boyPress everything and it’s all ready to wear!  Hopefully it fits because I sewed a size 8 without actually measuring my son.  I guess if it’s too big, he’ll grow into it soon enough!  🙂  I’m hoping to update with a photo of Noah wearing the shirt tomorrow after he’s tried it on (and after I’ve driven my mom to a doctor appointment).

Here we go:Father to Son -- Prepster Pullover (from Melly Sews) Re-Mixed

Advertisements

About sdevisser

I'm just a home schooling mom who likes to create and who is trying to find my way through daily adventures with my family.
This entry was posted in At the Craft Table and tagged , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

2 Responses to From Father to Son

  1. Why isn’t this true upcycling??? I think it counts ;o) and sometimes simple is best to make practical clothes that your kid is going to wear and love because it was Daddy’s shirt. I really need to try the prepster pullover pattern!

    • sdevisser says:

      What I call “true upcycling” would be taking something that was otherwise unusable and making it into something usable. So because the shirt was in perfect shape, hardly worn, and could have been given to a men’s shelter or other charity to be used exactly as it was, I don’t consider my work true upcycling. More like altering it’s current state. 🙂

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s